Read wonderful owl-themed literature and create a beautiful dream catcher to showcase student learning.
Comprehension through text connections is the focus of this super fun project.
Goals of the lesson
Practice “close reading” through text connections.
ELA-Literacy.RI.1.3 Describe the connection between two individuals, events, ideas, or pieces of information in a text.
Included in this product:
- 3 owl/dream catcher graphics with gorgeous color combinations
- 1 black and white owl/dream catcher graphic
- Photos of the final project
- Background information page for the teacher
- 3 “making connections” posters to display as a reference for students
- 18 sets of “feathers” with suggested owl-themed literature
- 2 sets of blank “feathers”
- And an original Kat and Squirrel story with set of “feathers” to match
(Psst – The Squirrel has seriously outdone herself with the illustrations for this one!)
- Bonus – Owl Fact Word Find!!
So much owl fun packed into this project. It could keep kids interested for weeks! And learning of course, but don’t tell them. 😉
The Possible Owls Books to Use:
Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
“I’m Not Santa!” by Jonathan Allen
Owls by Gail Gibbons
The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark (Jill Tomlinson’s Favourite Animal Tales) by Jill Tomlinson
The Owl Who Hated the Dark by Earle Goodenow
Little Owl’s Night by Divya Srinivasan
Good-Night, Owl! by Pat Hutchins
The Little White Owl. Tracey Corderoy, Jane Chapman by Tracey Corderoy
The Owl And the Woodpecker by Brian Wildsmith
My Little Book of Burrowing Owls (My Little Book Series) by Hope Irvin Marston
Owl Babies by Martin Waddel
White Owl, Barn Owl: Read and Wonder by Nicola Davies
Baby Owl (Nature Babies) by Aubrey Lang
Why the Owl Has Big Ears Retold by Mike J. Preble
Adopted By An Owl: The True Story of Jackson the Owl (The Hazel Ridge Farm Stories) by Robbyn Smith van Frankenhuyzen
The Happy Owls by Celestino Piatti
Little Owl Lost by Chris Haughton
Owl at Home (I Can Read Book 2) by Arnold Lobel
Kat and Squirrel and the Winter Solstice by Kathryn Gjerseth
(INCLUDED IN THE LESSON)